Thinking of Rehoming your Dog?
At Forever Hounds Trust, we recognise that making the difficult decision to rehome your dog is never the easy option. We understand that life changes and that sometimes you can be forced to make this decision for a host of reasons. We do not judge anyone who is looking to rehome their dog, as we know this is often the bravest and kindest act for the dog.
If you are considering giving up your dog, we know you will be concerned about where your dog will be placed and what will happen to them. We are committed to supporting you throughout the process and will be honest about how we work and keep you fully informed, if that is your wish.
Dogs with behaviour issues
If your dog has a behaviour issue that is making them difficult to live with, we recommend that you speak to an appropriately qualified behaviourist before contacting us. You can find details of qualified behaviourists via:
What if your dog has bitten or is aggressive?
Unfortunately, we cannot take in dogs who have bitten people or other animals, due to the large number of requests we receive asking for our help. If your dog has bitten and/or is showing aggression, please contact an appropriately qualified behaviourist, via the links above.
How to proceed with your rehoming request
Please note, we are breed specific rescue, and can only help with greyhounds, lurchers and other sighthounds.
- Please provide as much info as possible on the following form. We will then contact you to discuss your dog’s behaviour and homing needs in more detail, before advising whether or not we are able to progress your application. We may ask for photos or videos of your dog in specific scenarios at this stage.
- You must be willing to pay for your dog to have an intake health check with your vet, prior to coming into our care. We may also ask you to arrange and pay for routine treatments such as flea/worming treatments, vaccinations and neutering before we can agree to rehome your dog.
- If you would like your dog to come into our kennels for rehoming, you must be prepared to bring them to either our Devon or Somerset locations to be assessed by a qualified behaviourist. In exceptional circumstances, we may be able to visit your home in order to assess your dog (as long as you live within reasonable reach of our main location in Devon). The outcome of this assessment will determine whether or not we will be able to accept your dog for rehoming.
- If you would prefer your dog to stay at home with you whilst we find a suitable adopter for them, you must be within reasonable reach of our main location in Devon (i.e. live in Devon, Dorset, Somerset or Bristol), and be prepared for a qualified behaviourist to visit your home and assess your dog. The outcome of this assessment will determine whether or not we will be able to help. If we can help, you must also be willing to keep your dog for as long as it takes to find them a suitable home.
Important points to consider:
- In signing your dog over for rehoming, you understand that you have no further claim on your dog and s/he will not be returned to you under any circumstances.
- Forever Hounds Trust are unable to put you in contact with the dog’s new owners, due to GDPR regulations. By surrendering a dog to us, you agree that you will not attempt to contact the new owners via any means, including social media.
- Your name and contact details will not be shared with future owners and we do not sell contact details to anyone else.
- We will seek a full veterinary history, and have the dog’s microchip details transferred to Forever Hounds Trust upon intake.
- You may be asked to provide photos and video footage of your dog, as part of the application process. This may be shared with veterinary staff or behaviour specialists, who are not employees of FHT.
By submitting a form for your dog, you agree to the above.
If you would like us to consider taking your dog for rehoming, please now follow the link below to complete our request form.
**RESPONSE TIMES** We will review your request and aim to get back to you within a week. Please bear with us during busy periods, but you will receive a response to your request.