We consider all types of homes for our hounds, meaning we home to families, older people, consider those without gardens and people in smaller properties too . We assess each home offer case by case and always endeavour to find the right pet for you and your circumstances.
Every Forever Hounds Trust hound is thoroughly assessed to find out what type of home it will need. These assessments determine whether a hound can happily live with sensible children, other dogs or animals and if they will have any specific needs.
We work with you to find the right hound match for you. That isn’t the end of the story though – our brilliant behaviour team are on hand to help provide any behaviour and training help needed and remain available for the whole of your hounds life. So, if you ever encounter a problem with your pet, we will be there to support you. We are one of a very few rescue organisations able to offer this level of support.
How Does It Work?
We follow the steps below to help you find your perfect pet:
- Register your interest in adopting a hound from us.
- Your form will be sent to your regional team.
- One of the team will be in touch to talk to you about the kind of dog that would suit your family and lifestyle.
- We may visit your home if you haven’t adopted from us before, or ask you to provide us with an insight into your home environment using photos or video.
- We match you with a lovely hound.
- Adoption day!
- After 24 hours, we give you a call to check you are all happy and settled. We will also check-in with you after seven days and again at 4 months.
- You and your hound are part of the Forever Hounds Trust family, so you can come to us anytime during the life of your hound for advice on training, behaviour and socialisation.
Taking your hound home
We want to make sure you have everything you need to take care of your new pet. Which is why your hound will have a homing pack that includes the following:
- Information letter
- Behaviour assessment
- Detailed training plan if required
- Vaccination card
- Contact details for our post homing support team
- A harness in the correct size
- A double ended lead
- A collar
- A dog tag with our contact details on
- A muzzle
- Any additional information or leaflets required
- Four weeks free insurance with Petplan
- Details of the food and feeding regime your hound has been used to, information about their favourite treats and also what their current weight is.